2 minutes reading time
The Only Constant Is Change
Your San Joaquin County Bar Association engaged in needed house cleaning over the past eighteen months. Having re-established a strong foundation on which to build, it is time to focus on maximizing member value and long-term stability. Over the next few months, some of the goals and activities it is pursuing include:
- Greater financial transparency. Your SJCBA operates on a January-December fiscal year. Members deserve an annual financial report. New financial reporting processes are being put in place, and in the next issue of Across the Bar, there will be a closing statement for 2018, and a 2019 budget. Going forward, the SJCBA is committed to providing annual financial reporting to its members in the first quarter of a new fiscal year. It isn’t there yet, but it will be by the close of 2019.
- Member services. Maximizing the value of membership must be the number-one goal of your SJCBA. Your Board of Governors and the SJCBA staff are analyzing every aspect of membership to assure that your SJCBA is a good investment.
- Member Survey. In the next few weeks, an anonymous member survey will be sent to you via e-mail. It is going to be as short as possible and seeks to answer four questions: (1) What does the SJCBA do that you value? (2) What does it do that you don’t? (3) What does it do that it can improve? (4) What doesn’t it do that it should? Please take a few minutes to complete it when it arrives. Those that complete it can then enter a drawing to win a $50.00 gift card.
- Sections. Sections should offer support to their members, through mentoring, networking, and continuing education. The Sections and SJCBA staff are inventorying the benefits of each section. Sections that offer value will continue or be added. Sections that don’t won’t continue.
- Communications. How, how often, and what your SJCBA communicates with you are vital to its ability to keep you informed. Your SCJBA also needs to make it easy to hear your interests and concerns. Between now and the end of 2019, a thorough review of the types of communication, their content, and their frequency are being evaluated. One goal is a common look and feel across all platforms. Technology compels an alignment of any professional organization’s interaction with its members to assure relevancy and a respect for members’ time.
This message’s headline lacks originality, but it makes up for it in accurately describing the state of your SJCBA: constant improvement to maximize member value. Never hesitate to reach out and let me know how you think your SJCBA is doing.